[SAMBA4] Samba appliance for terminal servers

Steven McCoy fnjordy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 08:04:14 GMT 2006

Hi Andrew,

  I have read some of your documents (Samba 4 - Active Directory, 5th
January 2005) and the SambaXP 2006 talks, and so hopefully the appliance can
be updated to support the join process.

I have in mind two targets for such an appliance, one for small < 25
employee companies with little expectation of AD integration, and the other
for schools with OLPC style projects.  Promoting diskless servers and
clients allows for more stable environments that are easier to repair,
simply replace broken machines or parts: no need to re-configure the
software or install new drivers, etc.  Samba allows the nice integration of
Windows hosts and software that cannot be replaced with Linux/Unix
counterparts.

A couple of technical questions:  will Samba 4 allow LDAP clients to modify
the entries, and can I add extra schemas like the qmail, sendmail, exim, and
postfix mail schemas?  According to previous notes and docs it should be
able to by updating schema.ldif?

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2005-November/043846.html

So to support schema files I would need to convert them to LDIF, update the
master schema.ldif and rebuild the Samba databases?

--
Steve-o