[SAMBA4] Samba appliance for terminal servers

Steven McCoy fnjordy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 06:20:45 GMT 2006

Hello,

I have created a Samba 4 appliance: miru directory server, that can be
installed on a generic PC or embedded system like PC Engines WRAP.  It uses
Samba 4 TP2 ontop of FreeBSD 6.1 and is simlar to m0n0wall, FreeNAS, and
pfSense.  About a 12MB download for the entire system, a slightly larger
526MB demo with Ubuntu LTSP is also available.

  http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/miru_directory_server

Its all configurable via a web interface, the Samba configuration and
databases are generated at boot from one XML configuration file which also
configures the rest of the system.  I chose Samba 4 as it should be simpler
to use than Samba 3 + OpenLDAP and more compatible than a straight NIS or
Kerberos 5 database.  All the details should be available on the wiki,
including screenshots of every web page.

There is a big caveat about Windows clients though, the project is
ultimately to allow terminal users to use the same account for Linux and
Windows 2003 Terminal Server, however I don't have this and have no
experience of using Microsoft Active Directory, the Kerberos keytab is not
saved and the Samba interface is over simplified to just users and groups,
no computers.  I am hoping some people can help out with the minimum
requirements to support Windows terminal servers.

--
Steve-o