Samba locks system up when coping data from Windows 98 clients

Johnny Tech techjohnny at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 20:52:54 GMT 2006

Hello:

I have setup a backup script to mount and backup 8-windows clients, all
running Windows 98, but one that is running Windows 2000 Professional.

This script runs at 4:00AM and usually completes around 5:30AM.  The
script mounts and copies all the application data, my documents, and
desktop to a drive on hdc1.

This script has run successfully for several days, but now it locks the
server up before completing.

Here is more information on the linux configuration:

bash# uname -ra
Linux server.local  2.6.5-1.358 #1 Sat May 8 09:04:50 EDT 2004 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
bash# mount -V
mount: mount-2.12
bash#smbd -V
Version 3.0.3-5

Now the script is using the smbd module when the Windows 98 client is
mounted.

What if I built the module into the kernel?

Regards,
--TJ