Fw: Patch for accessing smbconf via registry rpc interface

Chetan D Shringarpure chetan.sh at in.ibm.com
Thu Aug 10 05:50:31 GMT 2006

Jim McDonough <jmcd at us.ibm.com> wrote on 08/09/2006 09:08:18 PM:

> Chetan (csd on irc) has been working on this patch, which is just a
proof
> of concept for accessing smb.conf via the registry.  Right now it's just

> reading it, so configuration storage is not an issue in this code.

Thanks Jim for posting it to the list.

For anyone reviewing the code -

1. The code does not read the parameters from the smb.conf. This is so
because it avoids the need of revalidation for the parameters and values.
It simply gets the details from the loaded services.

2. The same problem is bit more complex when it comes to writing it back.
Moreso because there are included smb.conf. I don't see a clean way to
"know" and writeback.

3. There is definitely a possibility to avoid the need of included
smb.conf altogether by adding access levels and control thanks to the
reg_access hooks available in registry. This however is something I would
need a considerable discussion and thought. This is cleanly possible if a
switch is made to some different richer storage backend like xml, binary
(most contentious).

4. An api can be written to deal with smb.conf more sanely. However thats
almost similar to creating libelektra allover again.

best regards,

Chetan Shringarpure
IBM India Pvt. Ltd.
email:  chetan.sh at in.ibm.com