multi-indexed tdb

Tue Aug 8 07:59:21 GMT 2006

Hi, Tridge!

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:15:51AM +0200, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Why not just use ldb? In its base form with no modules ldb is really
> just multi-indexed tdb, but with some extra features that should be
> quite useful for the databases you are interested in. For example, you
> get ldbedit for free.

Three reasons:

In the 2-3 hours I took to get some core ldb parts out of
Samba4 I did not find a way to sanely separate it. For
example ldb.h is 1330 lines with for example all the OIDs
for the extended operations is something we don't need in
Samba3, and this will only create big merging pain later on.

Second, I have the impression that ldb right now is the only
area in Samba4 where development is happening. I'll rather
wait some months until that has settled a bit.

Third: Right now we don't need all of ldb, the current
tdb_multikey.c file is 586 lines. I suspect that ldb will be
at least 2-3 times that size. And being burnt very badly by
3.0.23 I'm right now very careful with complex code. I don't
want to screw up another release, one is enough for a while.

Volker