another patches for net_ads.c

Thu Aug 3 20:42:05 GMT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:56:51AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> I support the idea of helpful error message propagation
> but I think using globals will be really hard to maintain.
> If you can do this without introducing more globals it
> would be best.

What about changing the return type of the top level net
function from int (which is in fact really a BOOL) to a
string or better char *? NULL would indicate success in the
unix tradition, anything != NULL would be the error message.

The counter argument would be that having NULL as a success
message is a bit counter-intuitive, but it would everyone
writing net utilities think about famous last words if a
failure happens.

Volker