Socket layer over-complexity?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 23 09:29:35 GMT 2006

I've been looking at the socket layer in samba4, with the aim to make
TLS just another socket type (added on to of an existing stream socket).
This should avoid the 'fallback' code in tls.c, as well as all the 'if
packet->tls' in packet.c.

More importantly however, I'm trying to see if I can make 'SASL' (4 byte
prefixed encrypted buffers) a socket type too.

Anyway, SSL and SASL won't deal well with the SOCKET_FLAG_PEEK and
SOCKET_FLAG_BLOCK options to socket_recv() and socket_recvfrom().  As
such, I'm wondering, as there is no code that currently uses them, if
they could be eliminated?