samba 3.0.22 cross-compilation woes

Mike Mohr akihana at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 10:51:01 GMT 2006

Samba team,

I recently tried to cross-compile Samba for my router running OpenWRT.
 I used this commandline to set up the environment:

CC=mipsel-linux-uclibc-gcc ./configure --prefix=/tmp/samba --host=mipsel

It seems first that I am unable to specify DESTDIR to redirect make
install.  Hence I explicitly specified prefix, but this is not where
the binaries will be installed on the target machine.  The configure
script misdetects a bunch of things: for example, shared libraries are
supported on the target, but configure says they aren't.

Two things cause the compile to come to a screeching halt:

#1: lib/time.c fails to compile since configure fails to define
HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY_TZ.  This can be solved by explicitly defining
HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY_TZ in lib/time.c

#2: The conditional statement at the end of auth/auth_script.c (#if 0
....) must be enabled for the final smbd link.

I don't know how much I can do, but I'd be happy to help out with
Samba development.  I'm a self-taught C programmer; let me know if
that is anything I can do to help.

Oh, and please CC me in any replies to this message.  I am not yet
subscribed to the mailing list.  If there is work I am capable of
doing on Samba, I will subscribe.

Mike Mohr