Locking database cleanup?

Alexey Lobanov A.Lobanov at cro-rct.ru
Wed Apr 5 06:20:22 GMT 2006

Hello all.

A quite simple sutuation. One SMBD servicing one user said "segfault"
(e.g., because of CUPS interaction problem) and died. Yes, we are in
Brave Robust Unix World, and one daemon death does not affect other
daemons and remote clients. But... the locking database still contains
records related to this non-existent PID, and any new attempts to use
same files fail. The affected share becomes completely unusable until we
restart the *whole* Samba subsystem, killing open files of all the other
innocent clients. Welcome back to the monolythic server.

Is this behavior normal for Samba 2 and 3 architecture? Or I do not
understand something?

I suspect that "locking.tdb" file contents is secondary thing in this
case. The primary reason is located in the shared memory machinery. Correct?

And the practical solution could be a tool cleaning locking tables from
records related to non-existent PIDs...

Alexey