Samba4 portability

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Sep 16 00:30:33 GMT 2005

Randy,

 > Samba4 should be more portable than samba3.

this is probably true for most issues, but there are some assumptions
about the OS that we have in Samba4 and not in Samba3. For example, we
assume in Samba4 that the system has a 64bit integer type of some
sort. We also rely on more compiler features (such as modern structure
initialisation methods) than Samba3 does.

The best way to maximise the chance that any version of Samba is
portable to your favourite system is to provide an example of the
system in the Samba build farm. That way all the developers can
clearly see what portability issues remain. We might need to come up
with some new approaches for putting embedded systems into the build
farm, but we could at least automate the build stage and skip the
automated tests until we know how to do those with non-unix systems.

Cheers, Tridge