whoami on a CIFS session

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 13 10:48:39 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:10 +0300, Moshe Yosevshvili wrote:
> hi all,
>  I'd like to get the username of the user that opened a CIFS session.
> in NTLM the username is in plain text and can be retrieved during session
> setup.
> in Kerberos, on the other hand, it's encrypted in the ticket (assume i can't
> read the ticket).
> is there an MS-RPC call that i can send to the file-server in the context of
> this session that will
> return the username.

Yes, there is an LSA call for exactly this.

> this is kind of a "whoami" utility for a CIFS session.

You would need to be part of the CIFS session to do this, so I'm a bit
lost as to how you would execute it, but here is the IDL (from our
lsa.idl)

        /* Function:     0x2d */
        typedef struct {
                lsa_String *string;
        } lsa_StringPointer;

        NTSTATUS lsa_GetUserName(
                [in] unistr *system_name,
                [in,out] lsa_String *account_name,
                [in,out] lsa_StringPointer *authority_name
                );