[Samba3] BAD_NETWORK_NAME that dissapears under gdb, strace

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Sep 11 22:29:43 GMT 2005

I've been chasing down an issue for a friend, with Samba 3.0.14a-2 on
Fedora Core 4.  The issue appears to be that this code (from service.c
make_connection_snum()):

	if (SMB_VFS_STAT(conn, conn->connectpath, &st) != 0 || !
S_ISDIR(st.st_mode)) {
		DEBUG(0,("'%s' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting
to [%s]\n", conn->connectpath, lp_servicename(snum)));

fails on a Fedora Core 4 machine, with a 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4smp kernel.
However, it only does so when running natively.  *If run under strace,
valgrind or gdb, it works fine.*

Also, this only fails at all on a particular filesystem (a big raid5
ext3 fs).

Does anybody have experience with these kind of issues?  My current
suggestion is to move to a stock kernel.org kernel, assuming it has to
be a kernel bug, but I'm a bit in the dark.  What kind of things does
ptrace() modify, to change this behaviour?

(I'll also suggest compiling 3.0.20 from source, but I'm skeptical on
this being the cause, given the above.)