[svk-dev] svk not up to prime time yet? [was Re: Samba-SVK-HOWTO ....]

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Thu Sep 8 16:43:19 GMT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 06:04:49 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jan Hudec wrote:
>
> |> This is where I ran into the failure.
> |>
> |> $ svk patch --list
> |> openbsd_timespec at 1:
> |> $ svk patch --cat openbsd_timespec
> |> Target not local nor mirrored, unable to view patch.
> |
> | The patch is againts the master repository, not your local
> | branch. So you must apply it to the master repository:
> |
> | svk co //samba/branches/SAMBA_3_0 /misc/src/samba_3_0
> | [...]
> | /misc/src/samba_3_0$ svk patch --cat openbsd_timespec
> |
> | Would this work?
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work.
>
> Truthfully, I don't think that viewing a patch
> requires a local check out or the mirror or local branch.
> I can view a patch I generated from outside a svk
> checkout.  But I get the same error when trying to
> view a patch from another developer.

Um, well. The anon version is a mirror (created with SVN::Mirror) of the
master? Well, than svk can't recognize the master as the patch target. Try to
mirror the anon too and re-push the patch to the actual master.

> So how do other people handle patches between
> developers?

They stick to only one master, accessed with two different methods
(the repository is recognized by it's UUID, not it's url).

Subversion is not a good base for truly distributed work, no matter how
excelent job svk does. Unfortunately none of the new version control systems
is really mature yet.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>