libnet_join

Brad Henry j0j0 at riod.ca
Mon Sep 5 18:47:15 GMT 2005

Simo Sorce wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 10:14 -0600, Brad Henry wrote:
>

>>The question that arises from this is: Would we want that behaviour
>>automated within the libnet_join code, or would it be better to have
>>explicit 'demote' and 'promote'  functions in libnet provided as net
>>commands, for example? The automated behaviour would be nice, but
>>accidentally demoting a dc because you were ssh'd into the wrong host
>>and typed 'net join <domain> member' would not. :)
>>

>IMHO it is best to have explicit promote/demote commands, creating a DC
>is not an everyday task and probably needs extra care.
>
>Simo.

Thanks Simo!  The more I thought about it, the more I realized that
there isn't really another option.

This patch includes the changes to use talloc_steal() in a type-safe
way, and prevents a current member server from performing any dc join
steps if asked to. It's an 'svk diff' of libnet_join.c against the
current SOC/SAMBA_4_0 branch, r10036.

Brad