libnet_join

Brad Henry j0j0 at riod.ca
Mon Sep 5 16:14:23 GMT 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>BTW, do you now join as a DC only if we asked for a BDC join?  (Compared
>with a member server join).
>
>Andrew Bartlett

Yep, it's implemented as a test at the end of libnet_JoinDomain(). While
testing that functionality this morning I found a problem with the
current logic.

If a host performs a BDC join following a member join, the server dn
stuff gets created,  but the machine account remains under OU=Computers.
Would preferred behaviour be to fail (not perform any changes, report
back an error condition), or promote the existing account to become a
BDC? How about the other way around?

My thoughts would be that it's sensible to allow the changing of
accounts between BDC and member server varieties in both directions.
Having to delete and recreate machine accounts is ugly and changes
SID's, which probably don't want. At the very least, 'dcpromo.exe'
allows this behavior on 2k3, so it would make sense to follow this
convention.

The question that arises from this is: Would we want that behaviour
automated within the libnet_join code, or would it be better to have
explicit 'demote' and 'promote'  functions in libnet provided as net
commands, for example? The automated behaviour would be nice, but
accidentally demoting a dc because you were ssh'd into the wrong host
and typed 'net join <domain> member' would not. :)

Thanks,
Brad