Does NET RPC RIGHTS requires Linux PDC? additionally Samba 3.0.11 and RHEL 4 test

Kim mistral kimmistral at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 07:45:09 GMT 2005

Hi dear Deschner,
Thanks for your response. It has made me take one more step.
My current problem is about SAMBA 3.0.11. My test environment is below

-Windows 2000 domain
- W2K Server as PDC,
- Linux Redhat Enterprise Edition 4 as File Server

Does NET RPC RIGHTS command requires that PDC/domain  must be Linux?
    if not, My problem starts here.
    Redhat Ent.Ed. comes with Samba 3.0.10 and NET RPC RIGHTS requires at least 3.0.11
So I have uninstalled Samba 3.0.10 packages from my Linux File Server. Since Samba  3.0.11 rpm packages are not available for Linux Ent.Ed.4, I've downloaded Samba 3.0.11 source and compiled it on my Linux server. It's OK. But "net rpc rights" is not available when execute "net rpc" command . What may be worng?

Sincerely,

Guenther Deschner <gd at samba.org> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:23:55PM -0700, Kim mistral wrote:
> I also try to migrate Windows shares to Linux server with "net rpc share
> migrate SHARES mywindir -S WinServer -U Administrator" command.
>
> When I try this command, I prompted following error "Cannot add share:
> WERR_ACCESS_ERROR".

not WERR_ACCESS_DENIED ?

That would make more sense. Most probably you do not have the
"SeDiskOperatorPrivilege" assigned to "Administrator".

If you are using "security = ads" please try to switch to "security =
domain" to let that privilege take effect.

Thanks,
Guenther

--
Günther Deschner GPG-ID: 8EE11688