libmsrpc patch

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Sep 2 20:09:54 GMT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 02:04:57PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:24:56PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >>
> >>* Integration with the Jeremy's rpc rewrite in trunk
> >>once that is completed.
> >>
> >>* Addition of other pipes
> >>
> >>I would like to include libmsrpc in 3.0.21.  That would mean
> >>that the existing interface needs to be stable.  I would really
> >>like you involved on all these future changes and plans if at
> >>all possible.
> >
> > Yeah, this is the thing. Please don't merge this until that
> > rewrite is finished. It's coming along well, but may be another
> > week or two before it's ready to merge in.
> >
> > I don't want to have to do this twice :-).
>
> I disagree.  I think it is better to put this into SAMBA_3_0
> now.  And work with Chris on fixing it after you backport
> your changes from trunk.
>
> Did you look at the patch ?  This doesn't touch anything in
> rpc_client.

Yes I looked at it, it uses all the old client pipe interfaces
which are now gone. Completely....

Did you look at my branch ? :-).

If this gets merged first, then I'll have to do the cleanup
work as part of merging my branch. There won't be any work
from Chris - I'll have to do it as his code will have "squatters
rights" as it were :-). My code will break the build, not
his.

If my new rpc code gets merged first (and merge is the
wrong word as it'll just drop over and completely replace
what is already there) then the build keeps working. Then
he and I can work together and I can teach him how to
change his code to use the new rpc interface (or he
can look at the new rpcclient and easily work it out,
it's *much* cleaner).

That's why.

Jeremy.