Default OU vs. CN per SAMBA-HOWTO?

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Mon Oct 31 20:24:33 GMT 2005

I have come accross a problem I have not been able to resolve.  I am
attempting to create a Samba ADS Domain Membership machine to
authenticate users which will be accessing the shares on the Samba
server from a combination of Active Directory and Kerberos.

The problem I am experiencing is stemming from following the directions
for the "Create the Computer Account" in chapter 6 part II of the
Samba-Howto.  The last command says it is possible to create a machine
trust account in a container called servers under a different OU.

ex: root# net ads join "Computer\BusinessUnit\Department\Servers"

Here are the steps I have taken, I have joined the Samba machine to the
domain using the "net ads join -U<username>" command.

I have configured the /etc/krb5.conf to mimic our network environment as
well as the nsswitch.conf, I am able to run the command "getent passwd"
and I can see users, however the problem is they are not the correct
users.  After running the command I described above "net ads join
"Computer\BusinessUnit\Department\Servers"" I can only view and
authenticate users in the OU.

I have attempted the following, removed the comupter trust account from
the active directory, let the AD replicate and rejoined the domain only
to have the same OU show up as default.  I have removed Samba, Winbind
packages from the machine, changed the machine name, as well as any
temporary files for samba and winbind, let the machine sit without any
domain interaction for 3 days to make sure it was removed the computer
trust account and all without any success.

Any assistance with this problem is definately appreciated.  I am
including the /etc/samba/smb.conf and the /etc/krb5.conf.  Again any
help is appreciated.
[smb.conf]
[global]
#
# Network configuration
#
       server string = doc-odin.domain.com
       workgroup = DOMAIN
       netbios name = DOC-ODIN
       realm = DOMAIN
       security = ADS
       password server = server.domain.com server2.domain.com

#
# Domain configuation options
#
       prefered master = no
       local master = no
       domain master = no
       prefered master = no
       domain logons = no

#
# Security options
#
       encrypt passwords = yes
       update encrypted = yes
       password level = 20

#
# Winbind options
#
#
       winbind use default domain = no
       winbind cache time = 5
       winbind separator = /
       winbind enum users = no
       winbind enum groups = no
       winbind nested groups = yes

#
# User/Group mapping options
#
       idmap uid = 500-500000
       idmap gid = 500-500000
       add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
       add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$

#
# LDAP/AD configuration options
#
       passdb backend = ldapsam:LDAP://server2.domain.com
       ldap admin dn = "cn=readonly,cn=users,dc=domain,dc=com
       ldap user suffix = cn=users
       ldap group suffix = ou=groups
       ldap suffix = dc=domain,dc=com
       ldap delete dn = no
       use spnego = yes

#
# Networking options
#
       hide unreadable = no
       wins support = no
       dns proxy = no
       interfaces = eth* lo
       bind interfaces only = yes
       hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

#
# Miscellaneous options
#
       os level = 20
       template shell = /bin/false
       template homedir = /odin/%D/%U
       load printers = no

#
# Logging options
#
       log level = 1 ads:5 auth:5 sam:5 rpc:5

[krb5.conf]
[libdefaults]
default_realm = DOMAIN.COM
clockskew = 300
default_tgs_enctypes = rc4-hmac des-cbc-md5
default_tkt_enctypes = rc4-hmac des-cbc-md5
permitted_enctypes = rc4-hmac des-cbc-md5

[realms]
UTAH.EDU = {
        kdc = 192.168.0.2
        default_domain = domain.com