Modifying Samba to skip file system reads for IOZONE READ andREREAD

Iozone capps at iozone.org
Sat Oct 29 02:06:28 GMT 2005

woops, didn't copy the list.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet at samba.org>
To: "Iozone" <capps at iozone.org>
Cc: "Richard Sharpe" <rsharpe at richardsharpe.com>;
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org>; "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: Modifying Samba to skip file system reads for IOZONE READ
andREREAD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet at samba.org>
To: "Iozone" <capps at iozone.org>
Cc: "Richard Sharpe" <rsharpe at richardsharpe.com>;
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org>; "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 8:12 PM
andREREAD

Andrew,

    I forgot to mention the side-effect of the release of the hack.

    With the hack anyone could create a system that has a bogus
    performance advantage.

    So.... I had to change Iozone to make sure that this hack
    will not work.  The change was to alter the pattern used
    with each revision of Iozone. Cool... problem solved.
    BUT, it has an unfortunate side-effect on Iozone's functionality !

    Before this hack became available, Iozone users could
    create data sets, store them for as long as they wished,
    upgrade to new versions of Iozone and then continue
    to use their old data sets.  Well, that's gone now.  Now
    the user will be forced to create new data sets, anytime
    they upgrade their version of Iozone.   A very unfortunate
    side effect of release the hack, but alas, now mandatory.
    (That 2 pedabyte file, that you were using for test, well, you
    get to re-create it now) Arrrrgh....

    I prefer synergy, not tossing out hand grenades and watching
    the fireworks. In this case, the users just lost a feature :-(

Enjoy,
Don Capps