Modifying Samba to skip file system reads for IOZONE READ and REREAD

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Oct 28 23:46:26 GMT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Iozone wrote:

> Richard,
>
>    Noticed you hack:
>
>    --------
>    *
> +		 * Little hack for IOZONE ... if name is iozone.DUMMY.
> +		 * then set a flag and create a buffer for read
> +		 */
> --------

Ummm, that little hack I installed was never in any released code, either
from the Samba team nor from Panasas (my former employer). It was simply
an experiment to allows us to get an idea of the max throughput that
could be achieved with IOZONE if the filesystem was not in the way.

I also did another hack to throw the data away on writes so we could
measure in both directions and determine where problems might lie.

I am sorry if that wasn't clear before now.

However, I do think that making the data more random will stop people
optimizing for IOZONE.

Regards
-------