Sidebar to Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Oct 25 01:10:25 GMT 2005

David Collier-Brown wrote:

> Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> The continuation messages occur whenever the SMB message is larger
>> than the MTU on the link.  It's the TCP/IP stack that breaks the large
>> SMB down into smaller chunks for transmission.
>

>     Huh, fooled me!
>     I assumed NBSS meant netbios-something,
>     not normal TCP fragmentation of an SMB packet.

I stumbled on that one too for a while.  Urq!

It would be really nice to have a tool that would put the TCP packets back
together again so that the whole thing could be parsed by Ethereal.  If you
know how to do that please tell me.  It's a pain when large messages like
these aren't getting parsed.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org