Debug binaries...

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 21:10:19 GMT 2005

I was thinking, we (samba.org) publish binary packages
for popular platforms for a release, but we don't build
these with the -g (symbols debug) that we commonly ask
for when people are having crash/hanging problems.

Should we, in addition to the platform binary packages,
also create samba-debug-XXX packages, not stripped,
compiled with -g and with all symbols complete ?

That way if someone has a problem with Samba, we can
ask them to swap in the debug package (which is the
same version of Samba) and reproduce the bug - then
we'll have all the info we need to fix problems.

Of course I'm not voluenteering to do the work for
this :-), so take this suggestion with the contempt
it deserves..... But it struck me as possibly a
good idea.

Jeremy.