PATCH - Joining a domain with samba4 when the user exists

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 16 22:11:31 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 19:39 -0600, Brad Henry wrote:
> Brad Henry wrote:
>
> > Here is patch attempt #2.
> > I didn't see r11094 before I submitted this patch, and there was a
> > conflicting change. So this new patch applies against r11094.
> >
> > Brad
> >
> Third time's the charm. :)
>
> Andrew, I think that with the previous patches, I had misread what you
> had suggested in the other thread.
>
> With this new *shiny* patch, if the machine account exists, the
> 're-join' is  performed (and stored in secrets.tdb). This is then
> reported  by 'net join', along with the account type, and exits normally.

I've been thinking about this, and changing the convention on the return
value (so that a value other than 'OK' is also good) is just asking for
trouble.  I think we should just add a 'BOOL rejoined' flag to the
r->out structure.  We also need a flag for the input of 'force' so an
admin can rejoin as a different type of account (overwriting a BDC or
member, by deleting it first), with 'net join --force'.

What do you think?