"print command" minor issue

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 14 19:05:03 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> David Collier-Brown wrote:
> | Do we log the fact that this happened? I suspect it should
> | be at a petty high log level, as it amounts to a
> | "Sorry Dave, but I can't do that" (;-))
>
> No.  It's just like overriding any parameter.
> Patches to docs welcome :-)

	Hmmn, there is a large special case to overriding things:
	sets of parameters which are designed to be used in a
	specific order.  They (each) deserve different handling.

	Consider printing = xxx, which sets at the least print command,
	lpq command , and lprm command. It is intended to be used
	first, then the others.  It is reasonable to wrap it
	with code to warn that it has changed a non-default
	setting, which indicates a risk that the commands
	have been used in backwards order:

	printing() {
		if (lpq != default)
			erk("printing", "lpq");
		else if (print != default)
			erk("printing, "print");
	}

	erk(culprit, victim) {
		printf("%s has just overwritten a value set by %s, "
			which may not be what was desired\n", culprit, victim);
	}

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest