Samba 3.0.20 read-only behaviour

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 13 22:55:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 18:17 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:50:28AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > Sure, I should store dos attributes on every file on my filesystem, to
> > stop Samba over-zealously marking files as such?  I just think the logic
> > in this is all backwards:  Now we have this EA storage you are so fond
> > of, why do we need to force it based on permissions?
> >
> > DOS attributes and access control are different things, and I think this
> > is undue mixing.
>
> If you want to decouple DOS attributes from permissions, you need
> to mark a file as such. Samba has historically used the lack of
> the everyone unix "w" bit to denote read-only. It's only since we have
> EA's that we've been able to decouple the two.

So why did you increase the coupling?  With EAs now there was no need
for this change was there?

> If you don't like it
> I suggest you tell me where else to stick it (*).......

I still think changing the defaults from the (rare) owner-missing W,
which is exactly how unix marks RO (c.f. RCS controlled files) to a
general permissions check is an unexpected change which breaks
functioning, documented setups.  (default profiles in [netlogon]).

Just because *you* can't write to the file doesn't mean it should have a
READ ONLY attribute.

BTW, what do we do when the user sets 'read only'?  Change group ACLs,
or just the owner W bit?  It should at least be symmetric.

Finally, I'll get you more info on my setgid bug, just in time for your
'c' release ;-)