svn commit: samba r10721 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/pidl/lib/Parse/Pidl/Samba3: .

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Oct 5 06:06:32 GMT 2005

Jelmer,

 > Example output is still available at http://samba.org/~jelmer/pidl_samba3/

Wouldn't it be easier to keep the same generated code as Samba4, and
just replace the C ndr encoding glue? Is there some reason we need to
use a different form for the generated code?

Ideally I'd like to see all of librpc/ ported back, but if we can't do
that for some reason then going half way and keeping the generated
code would at least allow future work on pidl to be shared between
Samba3 and Samba4.

The problem I see with creating a new backend is that most of the
really tricky work is in the backend specific code, especially for
things like subcontexts and multi-level pointers. By comparison the
ndr glue code is incredibly simple, consisting of tiny C functions
that do things like "push a uint32". Writing those for Samba3 is
completely trivial, whereas getting all the details right on a new
backend is much harder, and then maintaining the two is even more
work.

Cheers, Tridge