Help with Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 22:33:55 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 09:38 -0800, Bart Lasky wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   I’m current running Samba version 2.2.8a interfacing a Microsoft
> 2000 server with a Sun ASM box.  I was told that Samba has difficulties
> handling large amount of connections as well as the size or length of
> connections.  Do any of you know of any restrictions that I should be concerned about?

Where were you told this?

The restrictions are mostly with regards to the capacity of the machine,
and the memory for each connection.  Improvements have been made since
Samba 2.2.8a, I suggest you use the current Samba 3.0 release.

jht has some metrics he has compiled to assist in sizing a samba server
to a particular workload.