KDC built in or out of smbd

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 22:18:30 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 14:08 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:04:24AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > In terms of host separation, unfortunately the assumptions in the Active
> > Directory modal include that the LDAP server, KDC, RPC servcies and a
> > fileserver (for the netlogon share at least) must reside in the same
> > place.
>
> But not in the same *process* I think.... They just share the backend
> (I believe).

Correct.  The process requirement is for simplicity of administration
(but unless smbd is run in single process mode it will be a different
fork()ed child).

When the idea to move to a single daemon was proposed, I initially
disliked it, but Samba4's internal design is such that it can be changed
without major pain, so I left that argument for later.