best practices: automatic backups of .tdb files with samba 3.0?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Nov 21 13:49:32 GMT 2005

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
| Simo Sorce wrote:
| | On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 03:07 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
| |> Hi folks,
| |>
| |> Andrew Bartlett recently brought it to my attention that in Samba
| 3.0, tdbs
| |> are not journalled databases, with the consequence that a server
failure
| |> (say, power loss) can result in tdb corruption.  Since hardware
| failures are
| |> a fact of life, should we in Debian be automatically backing up the
| important
| |> .tdbs on a regular basis?  What are the best practices of other
| distributors
| |> in this area?
| |
| | I remember a post on samba lists with the list
| | of databases that should be backed up, if you can't
| | find it, please report here, and I will try
| | to give you the list.
|
| http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=111148952808956&w=2

An addendum to the original message:

New tdbs:

	eventlog/*tdb 	Records of Eventlog entries.
			In most circumstances this is
			just a cache of system logs.
	perfmon/*tdb	Performance Counters

The full list of tdb files that should be backed up
are:

	nt{printers,forms,drivers}.tdb
	account_policy.tdb
	group_mapping.tdb
	share_info.tdb
	winbindd_idmap.tdb
	registry.tdb

And of course secrets.tdb and passdb.tdb (if present).

cheers, jerry