support for mknod to windows now in cifs vfs

Martin Koeppe martin at koeppe-net.de
Mon Nov 21 11:38:51 GMT 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Steve French wrote:
> Steve French wrote:
>> Martin Koeppe wrote:
>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't find a mount option for
>>> linux-cifs to disable the samba unix extension mode. You could
>>> imagine a samba server share, on which some cifs clients need unix
>>> extensions, and others don't have to use it.
>>
>> I made it a run time option that applied across all mounts.
>> Making it a mount option might be better, but of course would still
>> hit the same confusion that other "smb session" and "tree
>> connection" specific mount options would have when you try to map
>> them to multiple mounts to the same share or multiple mounts to the
>> same server.
>>    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxOptionsEnabled
> Sorry, the above was a typoe
>   echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

Oh, yes, forgot these same mount or same server issues. But
nevertheless, having it as mount option maybe could work as follows:

I suppose for mounts from different servers, there never is a problem
with different mount options.

When the same server / same share is mounted a second time, and the
mount options don't match with the first mount, then an (temporary)
error could be printed, saying that there are other mounts from that
server already active, and that the mount options don't match, and the
mount fails. If some day multi-mounts are better supported, then this
mount error would go away.

For detecting the same server, I don't know enough of the cifs
protocol. But I have the case here, that server and client are
connected over 2 different interfaces. So the ip address alone would
not be enough to detect the same server.

Martin