best practices: automatic backups of .tdb files with samba 3.0?

Mon Nov 21 11:16:06 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 03:07:50AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett recently brought it to my attention that in Samba 3.0, tdbs
> are not journalled databases, with the consequence that a server failure
> (say, power loss) can result in tdb corruption.  Since hardware failures are
> a fact of life, should we in Debian be automatically backing up the important
> .tdbs on a regular basis?  What are the best practices of other distributors
> in this area?

No idea on the question proper, but what we definitely should (must?) do is
maintain a command that spits out all non-clear-if-first tdbs.

What about a 'net persistenttdbs' or a sub-command of testparm?

Volker