net send problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 14 21:14:13 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 15:14 +0100, Pascal Legrand wrote:
> hello
> i've got a problem with the "message command "option
> here is my config in smb.conf
> message command = /usr/local/samba/var/popup/get_popup "%f" "%t" "%s" "%I" &

> when i send a message only to the server i can get the message and all the information in popup.txt,
> but when i send a message to all the domain it doesnt works
> is somebody got an explication

When a message is sent to * or the domain it uses a completely different
transport (a broadcast udp datagram) to that used for single-host
communication (a command on a CIFS session).  Samba doesn't listen for
the UDP broadcasts.

I found this out when trying to catch the little blighters who were
sending rude (and they thought anonymous) messages to everybody on the
network.  In the end, I just shut down the messenger service on every
machine, but the other option would have been a targeted analysis of the
broadcast traffic with ethereal, or a hook in nmbd.