[Samba] Samba filename spaces problem

Marko Bozikovic bozho at kset.org
Thu Nov 10 10:55:48 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I apologize if this is the wrong list, but I've asked this question on samba
list and didn't get a satisfactory answer :)

I have a problem with samba. The problem is with linux filenames ending with a
space and opening these files in Windows.

We have a piece of Windows software that accesses some files on a Samba share.
These files are name something like: "B0ANA30AN001 XQ50 " (without the quotes).

Older linux system is SuSE with samba 2.2.5. Our Windows application replaces
spaces in filenames with '!' (i.e. "B0ANA30AN001 XQ50 " is mapped into
"B0ANA30AN001!XQ50!"), and this works fine with samba 2.2.5. This was achieved
using 'valid chars' option that would map spaces into !'s.

However, new SuSE system has samba 3.0.7-5 installed and 'valid chars' option
is no longer available. Is there a way to achieve the same functionality on
Samba 3?

Renaming files on linux is not an option, since the rest of the system on
linux depends on exact filenames (and the number of files is huge)

Is there a simple way to patch samba source to allow simple character mapping?

TIA,
--
Marko
ICQ: 5990814

I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol
that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get.