How are machine passwords updated/refreshed in Samba 3.0

Henrik Nordstrom hno at squid-cache.org
Thu Nov 3 22:35:42 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>> c) How are machine passwords updated in Samba 3.0 - I believe machine
>
> Currently nobody does, due to accidents of history.  It has caused
> surprisingly few problems.  You can manually call 'net ads
> changetrustpw' to change it.

Interesting. Had the impression winbindd did take care of this.

Any idea why it is causing such few problems?

>From what I know of NT Domain it's fairly crucial that the computer
account is working proper.. but I suppose it could be that it never really
expires, just a policy that it should be replaced every now an then..
(would be difficult for environments with laptops being away for extended
periods of time otherwise..)

Regards
Henrik