web server in Samba4

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Tue May 31 23:57:27 GMT 2005

Alan,

 >   Just add an SNMP server to the core.  Then people can query it
 > externally via another protocol, too.  This may make integration into
 > existing mrtg configurations easier.

If someone wants to contribute a snmp server for smbd then we could
look at it, but its not something I would consider critical for the
first release of Samba4.

I think that snmp is in the category of 'would be nice, but we can
function OK without it', which means I'd rather see someone add
support for linking with an existing snmp implementation rather than
writing one from scratch.

One possible approach would be to optionally link in a snmp library
and expose it to ejs. We are going to need to expose our monitoring
functions to ejs anyway for the web pages, so if snmp functionality
could also be exposed to ejs it would provide a nice environment for
extending what is made visible in snmp.

Anyway, I'm not going to work on this, so if someone wants to
volunteer to do some snmp work then please speak up!

Cheers, Tridge