web server in Samba4

paul kölle paul at subsignal.org
Mon May 30 07:52:01 GMT 2005

Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Support for web administration in Samba4 is starting to take shape, so
> I thought it might be worthwhile to outline some design decisions here
> in case anyone has any comments.
[snipp]

Just to add my 0.02 cents. The description sound great ;) A good user
experience is a great plus. I haven't come across a tool capable to
abstract samba configuration in a "scenario like" fashion; webmin giving
you param value pairs in a table is not much better than editing
smb.conf by hand (in fact it's slower). It lacks abstraction. As for
Javascript: I don't think the security argument is much of a concern.
Any decent browser can enable javascript on a per site basis. Javascript
and DOM helps a lot to overcome the stateless, syncronous nature webapps
suffer from and if the browsers javascript sandbox is broken this is
simply a bug.

greetings
 Paul