net rpc vampire performance

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Fri May 27 16:33:25 GMT 2005

Am Freitag, 27. Mai 2005 18:12 schrieb Volker Lendecke:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:56:05AM -0400, Jim McDonough wrote:
> > While it makes it more flexible, I think only producing some kind of
> > "generic" output makes it less likely that it would get used.  Better
> > perhaps is offering multiple formats.  Don should be posting some code
> > soon, but I think you'll find that it won't be hard to make multiple
> > output formats.
> >
> > the command format is currently : net rpc vampire ldif
> >
> > It could easily be exapnded to have "net rpc vampire xml" or whatever
> > such subcommands.
>
> Cynical question: What is so slow with the current approach? Is it the
> fork/exec of perl stuff, or is it the LDAP server? If it's the latter,
> maybe it would be better to fix the LDAP server. Maybe just for the vampire
> you can run it with a bdb backend tuned towards speed an not safety. I'm
> sure DB_CONFIG has a lot to offer to make things fast.
>
> Volker

Our experiences are that vampire slows down in syncing groups, because each
membership is synced with a single command. Having 500 users with each one in
10 groups means 5000 changes. With the current implementation there is no
easy way to change this, because samba has to respect the "add user to group
script", which can (by design) change only one membership.

This can be improved both by XML and ldif-output.

Greetings
Ingo Steuwer

--
Ingo Steuwer       steuwer at univention.de         fon: +49 421 22 232- 0
Entwicklung        Linux for Your Business