net rpc vampire performance

Fri May 27 16:12:07 GMT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:56:05AM -0400, Jim McDonough wrote:
> While it makes it more flexible, I think only producing some kind of
> "generic" output makes it less likely that it would get used.  Better
> perhaps is offering multiple formats.  Don should be posting some code
> soon, but I think you'll find that it won't be hard to make multiple output
> formats.
>
> the command format is currently : net rpc vampire ldif
>
> It could easily be exapnded to have "net rpc vampire xml" or whatever such
> subcommands.

Cynical question: What is so slow with the current approach? Is it the
fork/exec of perl stuff, or is it the LDAP server? If it's the latter, maybe
it would be better to fix the LDAP server. Maybe just for the vampire you can
run it with a bdb backend tuned towards speed an not safety. I'm sure
DB_CONFIG has a lot to offer to make things fast.

Volker