net rpc vampire performance

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Fri May 27 15:56:05 GMT 2005

>Wouldn't it be better to produce a more "general" output? Samba has
options to
>use external Scripts for creating Users, Group relationships etc.
Producing
>ldifs would mean that it's not possible to use user-defined
LDAP-Structures
>(i.e. position, modify of existing accounts/groups).
>
>I think flat files (maybe csv), one for accounts and one for groups, would
be
>more flexible. It gives the possibility to produce ldifs like yours in a
>second step (or modify the LDAP directly) but leaves the "freedom of
choice"
>to use your own structure (or even a different backend).
While it makes it more flexible, I think only producing some kind of
"generic" output makes it less likely that it would get used.  Better
perhaps is offering multiple formats.  Don should be posting some code
soon, but I think you'll find that it won't be hard to make multiple output
formats.

the command format is currently : net rpc vampire ldif

It could easily be exapnded to have "net rpc vampire xml" or whatever such
subcommands.
----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center