net rpc vampire performance

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 27 06:57:57 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 08:49 +0200, Ingo Steuwer wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to produce a more "general" output? Samba has options to
> use external Scripts for creating Users, Group relationships etc. Producing
> ldifs would mean that it's not possible to use user-defined LDAP-Structures
> (i.e. position, modify of existing accounts/groups).
>
> I think flat files (maybe csv), one for accounts and one for groups, would be
> more flexible. It gives the possibility to produce ldifs like yours in a
> second step (or modify the LDAP directly) but leaves the "freedom of choice"
> to use your own structure (or even a different backend).

Should you feel that ldif is not appropriate, then their is already an
XML schema for passdb, and pdb_xml, which was partly designed for this
kind of thing.  (I was also designed to ensure Samba remained buzzword
compliant, back in the XML days ;-)

I would also be very interested in a port of this to the
libnet/libnet_vampire.c code in Samba4, as this code handles other parts
of the migration puzzle, which Samba3 doesn't have the decode correct
for.  (And with the new structure I have, adding this should be
trivial).