Current ideas on kerberos requirements for Samba4

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Tue May 24 23:14:54 GMT 2005

I work for one of the "Vendors" described earlier and I am
uncomfortable with the idea that SAMBA would include their
own KDC.

My thoughts when I first read this thread were much like what
Doug has suggested - instead of creating a whole new KDC,
why not open up some interfaces on both sides - other KDCs
(MIT, Heimdal) and in SAMBA so that the necessary communication
can be exchanged and SAMBA can integrate with pre-existing
KDCs.   I know there are alot of people in the Kerberos
community that would probably be able to help define these
interfaces and make sure that they get implemented
by the various implementors.

By having SAMBA provide a new KDC puts people currently using
MIT or Heimdal in the same position that they are today with
AD - they must maintain 2 KDC and REALMS or drop their
existing KDC infrastructure (MIT or Heimdal) and go with
SAMBA.

Anyway, I applaud your efforts in the area of making a
fully compliant AD-like server, but I am not so supportive
of creating yet another KDC and further fracturing the
Kerberos community by forcing a choice like this.

-Wyllys Ingersoll