Current ideas on kerberos requirements for Samba4

Tarjei Huse tarjei at bergfald.no
Tue May 24 17:14:05 GMT 2005

Hi, I'm not sure which % I represent, but something that hit me is that this is about configuration management and ways to test things.

To get a simple Samba AD system up and running, you do not only need a KDC, but you also need a set of DNS adresses and (?) a DHCP server with Kerberos support as well as a working pam/nsswitch configuration. The possibilities for errors in different configurationfiles are huge.

I think that to help the 98% of the users you'll need a simple testutility to find out if all needed prerequisites has been set up and are working correctly - the error might be in smb.conf itself for all you know.

Apart from that, controlling the KDC probably helps - I leave this issue to others.

Tarjei