Current ideas on kerberos requirements for Samba4

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 24 16:26:22 GMT 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:34:52AM -0400, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> I think given your requirements, shipping a _basic_ KDC is probably
> unavoidable.  I just wanted to point out that there is a number of
> us who really want to use our own KDCs with Samba4, and we'd like
> you to be able to deal with that at some point.  I don't think
> there's a huge amount of work you have to do to make that happen
> (at least, I hope not).

We'll try and accomodate this, as we have accommodated people
who want to use their own keytabs in Samba3. But let me tell
you that this code (in Samba3) has taken 90% of the work for
less than 10% of the users. Even people wanting this to work
send incorrect, memory-leaking patches.

Kerberos isn't easy to use or set up - period. Unless you're
using a Windows KDC. That's just an unpleasant fact of life
currently.

Jeremy.