ldb and OpenLDAP, *DON'T PANIC*

Sat May 21 17:55:07 GMT 2005

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 07:26:54PM +0200, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> panic over Andrew Bartlett's hint (in an answer to a samba users post
> from me) that Samba 4 might demand a complete rebuild of my OpenLDAP
> database.

Just a quick comment: I don't see any panic necessary, for two reasons:

First, Samba 3 is still being developed. It will probably never be an Active
Directory DC, but over the time it will become better and better at what it
does now: File, print and NT4 compatible domain services.

Second: I see *NO* way at all that Samba 4 can get away without a 100% Samba 3
compatible LDAP backend. You might end up with less features than with a
converted DSE, but you will definitely get a smooth migration path. If it's
not there when Samba4 is initially released, very soon after that there will
be one.

Volker
Samba Team