unixinfo.idl

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Fri May 20 14:49:50 GMT 2005

Steven French wrote:

> It looks like the new unixinfo rpc pipe could give Samba domains a big
> benefit even if Windows servers are in the same domain - it would give our
> clients for the first time the infrastructure necessary to map sids to
> linux/unix uids for the important case of  Windows servers in a  Samba
> domain (or in general servers that don't support the Unix extensions in a
> Samba domain).   We still have the same problem with not being able to
> return both uid_t and gid_t owner but it may be useful even so.   There may
> be OS where this does not work as uid_t may not be 32 bits on all OS.

UIDs and in particular GIDs and role identifiers (RIDs?) can be 64-bit
quantities. They certainly are on Solaris.

--dave

--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest