Windows spooler sends SMB blocks with non-sequential order.

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Tue May 17 23:04:13 GMT 2005

Jeremy,

 > My guess is that early clients send -1 for this which is why
 > we just ignored it. I'd need to check DOS clients to be sure
 > though.

if you look at the interface for the original SMBsplwrite call:

	/* SMBsplwrite interface */
	struct {
		enum smb_write_level level;

		struct {
			uint16_t fnum;
			uint16_t count;
			const uint8_t *data;
		} in;
	} splwrite;

notice it doesn't take an offset? So I suspect our code was just
carried over from the earliest days when clients used SMBsplwrite
instead of SMBwrite or SMBwritex for print files. That would be the
earliest DOS clients I think. Certainly WfWg used normal write calls.

Cheers, Tridge