Connecting to Samba 2.2.5 shares fails using \\servername

Rob Main Rob_Main at ncsu.edu
Thu May 12 17:04:13 GMT 2005

I have a Samba server (v2.2.5) installed and configured on Solaris 8.
Each of my organization's PCs have an lmhosts and hosts files configured
to include an entry for "192.168.1.100 servername".  The same Active
Directory group policies apply to each node on the network.  Some
clients can access the share successfully using the UNC path
"\\servername" and others can't.  The PCs that cannot access the Samba
shares using "\\servername" *are* able to access the share using the IP
address only.  Pasted below is the output from "nbtstat -t" on a PC that
cannot access the share via "\\servername":

C:\>nbtstat -c

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.200] Scope Id: []

                 NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

       Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]
   SERVERNAME         <20>  UNIQUE          192.168.1.100        580

C:\>

I cleared out the NetBIOS cache and re-attempted to access the
"\\servername" Samba share without success.  I can, however, access the
Samba shares using an alias (i.e. - \\serveralias) and get to other
Samba shares residing on different servers.  Has anyone seen this before?

-Rob