mechanisms for client to determine which username a server uid represents

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon May 9 18:33:49 GMT 2005

I would prefer this to be a simple trans2 SMB since adding RPC code to
kernel for returning a 32 bit (or 64 bit) quantity
 would probably be viewed by some of the kernel guys as overkill and would
provoke some flames :)
Upcalls to userspace for the rpc calls would be ok but I don't want to
allow deadlock possibility which is tricky if upcall and task switch is
involved (I am thinking of the reconnect case).    There might be a way to
local ipc from kernel code to winbindd on client to ask the server
via rpc but it seems like if we had winbindd already running on the client
- we wouldn't have this problem as the uids would already match
so we are trying to solve the problem of what to do for the case in which
the uids on the client don't match, and presumably they aren't
running winbind on the client.

I was thinking along the lines of
1) extended session setup response when Unix like server (perhaps POSIX
extensions) negotiated.
and
2) an smb trans2 which given a tid and uid (server uid, not smb uid)
returned the full qualified username.  Unfortunately this
is in an almost empty trans2 request but we have only the Unix range of
trans2 requests at our disposal to extend for purposes like this

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

             "Gerald (Jerry)
             Carter"
             <jerry at samba.org>                                          To
                                       Steven French/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
             05/07/2005 10:06                                           cc
             AM                        samba-technical at lists.samba.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: mechanisms for client to