does samba4 require C99?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri May 6 11:32:27 GMT 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 13:43 +1000, James Peach wrote:
>
>>On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 11:38:12PM -0400, Marcin Porwit wrote:
>>
>>>Tridge did mention that this was the case at the SambaXP conference a couple of days ago . I don't
>>>know that there's been an official announcement of that, though.
>>
>>ok, thanks ...
>

> C99 compilers are not too hard to find these days, and personally I
 > find the new structure initialisation method drives me far, far less
> batty :-)

A quick check of the vendor compilers for commercial UNIX's shows
that C99 support has only recently become available for AIX 5 (with
the XL C/C++ compilers), IRIX 6.5 (with the MIPSpro 7.4 compilers
and the -c99 option), and Solaris 10.  HP-UX and Tru64 do not appear
to have a C99 compiler...

Obviously, GCC is available on pretty much all platforms, however GCC
typically doesn't work as well as the vendor compilers... :(

So just a head's up that the new requirements will trip up a lot of
people and you'll probably want to seriously document this when
Samba 4 is finally released.