login scripts

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Mar 30 23:55:07 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 16:39, Sean Fichera wrote:
> I am having a small issue with running login scripts.  I have used them
> in the past but now I am at the point where I need different scripts for
> different groups.  I have a data management group (mmsgroup) and a users
> group (users).  The "mmsgroup" group has access to directories and needs
> to be mapped to run applications.  I need to map in a script I can't go
> to the machine and do a net use I would be doing that often! Because of
> the users.  Don't ask!)  As far as I can see I can only use one login
> script or use a script for each user or each machine.  Can I use a login
> script for each group?  So I only need to make 2 scripts and not 500.

Firstly, why are you asking the developers list this question? The subject
matter really has nothing to do with Samba development which is what this
list is for. In future please refer matters of this general nature to the
mailing list samba at samba.org.

Secondly, Perhaps the following may help:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

Suggest you check chapter 23.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

Check chapter 9 - I know it's about NetWare to Samba conversion but it does
demonstrate how you can use kixstart as the logon script.

Also, check www.kixstart.org

- John T.